Monday, January 24, 2011

Cashew Milk

Today I made Cashew milk for the first time. It was easy, and it is delicious. The best part of it all is that it is dairy free.



**I blanched the cashews overnight. All that that means is I soaked them in water. I used RAW cashew pieces. You can use whole cashews, but I prefer to pay less for the same outcome. I put the cashews in a tupperware container, and filled it with enough water to completely cover the cashews. Then I covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator.

This morning, I took them out, strained them, and measured 1 cup, and put them in to my Vitamix. Then I added about 3 1/2 cups of water, 2 Tbsp of Agave Nectar, and about a Tablespoon of Pure Vanilla. (I get mine at Costco for about $6.95, and it's GLUTEN FREE). I mix it on the highest speed for about 2 minutes, and then pour it in to the containers that I have chosen. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.

You can substitute dairy with Cashew milk for any recipe that calls for cow's milk. It's awesome, and it has a really mild taste.

**Blanching nuts is important, because nuts are coated with enzyme inhibitors, which don't allow your body to break them down as well. If you want to get the most nutrition from your cashews, I suggest not skipping this step. Plus, it softens the cashews so much that you don't have to strain the milk after you blend it. Just pour and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment