Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Exit Soda, Enter Smoothie



Yes, I am one of "those people" who drinks a green smoothie every day. Well... I try. Most of the time it is every day, but there are days when my time gets the best of me and I don't get it that day... Usually on those days I don't have nearly as much energy or feel like I've done as good for my body. It's strange what your body starts to crave when you change your diet all around...

You see, I used to crave chocolate all the time. ALL THE TIME. Or cookies or something equally bad for me. I was addicted to sugar. If I went a day without Coke I thought I was going to die. Nowadays, I don't even miss candy bars or the nectar of the Gods Coke. Now, I crave good things like fruits or my green smoothies. I still miss pizza and sometimes cake donuts, and cookies, but those days are fewer and fewer as of late. I have found that I am much more sensitive to sweetness now. But, I think that with anything, it has to become habit. The more you eat well, the more you want to.

In our house, we call green smoothies, "REPTAR JUICE." My son who is 3, was introduced to the Rugrats, and quickly became just as obsessed with the dinosaur Reptar as Tommy, Chucky, Phil and Lil. Don't worry though, we nixed that pretty fast because of how mean Angelica is, but the Reptar obsession remained. Which, I think, is kinda cool.

(REPTAR picture is not my own. I found it on the internet here).

So, how do you make REPTAR JUICE?

Well here in my kitchen it goes a little something like this:

(Makes enough for 1-3 people)
1 Cup NON DAIRY MILK (Usually Cashew Milk)
1 Cup 100% Apple Juice or Apple Cider
2 handfuls of FRESH BABY SPINACH (My handfuls are big)
1 Cup Frozen fruit of choice (I LOOOOVE WAWONA... I get a big bag at Costco)
1 Medium ripe banana
(Add more juice or milk if you need to)

Add all ingredients in to a high powered blender such as my beautiful, amazing, glorious, handy dandy, Vitamix 5200. Blend until smooth. Pour and enjoy.

If this is what "healthy" tastes like, why did I wait so long?!

No comments:

Post a Comment